Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Day 1 - Roasted butternut squash with garlic, sage, and pine nuts

I made sort of a spontaneous decision to go back to veganism this morning.

I'm now committing myself to eating a whole foods gluten-free vegan diet.

I'm going to write about my experiences while transitioning from a meat-eating and processed foods diet, to eating a vegan whole foods diet. I will post pictures and link to recipes of my meals in hopes of encouraging others that are looking for a healthier way to eat. I know it can sometimes feel lonely when you are eating so differently than the family and friends around you, but you are definitely not alone! Whatever your reasons are for choosing to eat a healthier way, I hope what I post here can help you.

I know I won't be doing this perfectly, but I'll be learning along the way, so any advice, tips, or recipes are welcome!


Today I ate:

Breakfast

- Decaf coffee with Coffee Rich (a horribly processed non-dairy creamer that I must wean myself off of)
- Millet bread toast with Earth balance butter and razzleberry jam


Lunch

IMG_5745

- White beans sauteed in olive oil, garlic, fresh rosemary and lemon juice over a bed of fresh spinach
(3 cans of organic great northern beans, 3 TBS olive oil, 6-8 cloves of minced garlic, 2 TBS fresh rosemary, juice of 1 lemon - SERVES 6)

- Roasted green beans
(1 lb of green beans washed and trimmed, 1 TBS olive oil, garlic salt to taste, roast at 400F for 20 minutes - SERVES 4)


Afternoon snack
- Ddecaf coffee with non-dairy creamer
- 1.5 frozen over-ripe bananas (blended until smooth, it's like an ice cream type treat!)


Dinner:

IMG_5689

(I was nearly finished before I remember to take a picture!)


IMG_5677

- Roasted butternut squash with garlic, sage, and pine nuts


IMG_5665

- Roasted baby red potatoes and baby candy onions
(2 TBS olive oil, coarse sea salt to taste, 400F for 35-45 minutes - SERVES 4)


IMG_5692

- Roasted Okra
(1/2 lb, 1 TBS olive oil, coarse sea salt to taste, 400F for 15-20 minutes - SERVES 4)

It was a very roast-y night :)


Late night snack
- A sunflower seed butter and strawberry jelly sandwich on millet bread (I wish I hadn't eaten this. I realized right after I made it that I wasn't even hungry, but didn't want to waste the sandwich - they just don't keep in the fridge for later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment